Maintaining and increasing students’ motivation is one of the most important things teachers can do. In this webinar we are joined by three speakers who will offer practical tips for making performing arts education online more engaging.
Alongside Dr. Phoebe Chan (HKAPA Head of Performing Arts Research and Postgraduate Studies Coordinator) and Dr. Boaz Chow (HKAPA Music Lecturer in the School of Chinese Opera) we are joined by Dr. Curtis J. Bonk, Professor at Indiana University, and author of numerous papers and books including Empowering Online Learning: 100+ Activities for Reading, Reflecting, Displaying, and Doing (2008), Adding Some TEC-VARIETY: 100+ Activities for Motivating and Retaining Learners Online (2014) and most recently MOOCs and Open Education in the Global South: Challenges, Successes, and Opportunities (2020)
A summary report of the webinar is available for download.
The key 'takeaways' from the report are:
- Don’t rest content with the ‘flatness’ of the online learning environment, but experiment with ways to ‘thicken’ it.
- Spend time exploring online courses yourself and enrich your content by adopting ideas that work.
- Don’t go it alone: use your students, guest participants and even other online courses as learning and teaching resources.
- Consider Curtis Bonk’s principles of student engagement captured in his mnemonic TEC-VARIETY.
- Try out some of the practical ideas and resources mentioned by Curtis in the webinar.